Friday, July 5, 2013

Nocturne

On my recent trip to Santa Fe, NM I attempted my first nocturne painting. What a disaster!  I got set up too late so almost missed the sunset; I couldn't see the color of the paint on my palette; and my bright headlamp obliterated the values in front of me.  A fellow painter told me to turn the light to the red so you can at least see the value. Needless to say, I just started throwing paint on the canvas to capture the fleeting image.  I was surprised that anything came of it.  I almost didn't post this because it is so rough, but I thought in the interest of learning about nocturnes it was a good learning experience.
 This is what I learned:
1) Get there early so you have time to set up and think about your composition.
2) Have a headlamp that can be switched to the red light as well as a light for the palette.
3) You only have time for the big shapes so get them down quickly.
4) Use a big brush.

Would I do it again?  Absolutely!  I loved the challenge of trying to get a painting of a sunset.  It was so much more thrilling than painting from a picture. Now that I have the right equipment I'm ready to try a full moon painting.





1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing the reality and the lessons. I haven't tried this but would like to. Headlamps, who knew? I rather like the loose style.

    ReplyDelete